It’s so much fun to get creative with salads, and it’s a really good way to use up things leftover in your fridge before they go bad.
I made a risotto last night and as much as I LOVE risotto I find it very heavy and rich and I NEED something crisp and green to compliment it. But since my boyfriend doesn’t give two shits about salad I try to make my salads really creative so we feel like we’re eating something pretentious and expensive like you’d order in a restaurant. Then it’s not just a “lame salad” anymore.
This ingredient combination came out really well and the vinaigrette was also fantastic!
For the salad:
- A bed of leafy greens, I used a combo of spinach, watercress and arugala
- Some chopped cucumber
- A few slices of fresh mozzarella
- Green apple cut into “matchsticks” (my skills for this was lacking)
- Some slivers of red onion
- Some toasted pine nuts (or any nuts you have lying around, toasted is the way to go though)
For the vinaigrette:
- Olive oil
- Cider vinegar (which is apparently very healthy for you)
- A squeeze of honey
- Some yellow mustard powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper