It’s always exciting when I meet someone who expresses a love for quinoa. The last person to tell me they love quinoa automatically became my new best friend and was invited over to make a gigantic superfood salad and to watch a bit of my favorite show–16 and Pregnant!
Here’s how to make the salad so you can re-create this special night in your own home!
What you’ll need:
- About a cup of red or white quinoa
- Chopped leaves (I used rocket/arugula but you could use spinach too)
- Some fresh herbs (I used basil and mint)
- Chopped cucumber ( I also used some celery)
- Pomegranate seeds
- A lentil or bean (not pictured as the health food store I visit was out of mung beans)
- A nut or seed like sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- Chopped red onion
- Lemons and/or limes
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Cider vinegar (or any clear vinegar)
- A tiny bit of tahini (optional)
- Top this off with some fried sesame halloumi!
Cook the quinoa like you’d cook rice. Simmer uncovered in boiling water until all the water is absorbed (I use veg or chicken stock instead of plain water).
In a food processor (or chopped by hand) cut up the herbs, onions, cucumber and arugula. Toast the seeds in a frying pan lightly. Fry the halloumi (instructions here).
Arrange in a pretty way and enjoy!