Here’s an idea for a delicious side-dish perfect for any Indian themed meal. Soft and crispy potatoes loaded with lovely, fragrant Indian spices–doesn’t get much better than this people.
What you’ll need:
- Potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes (enough potatoes for the amount of people you’ll be serving–figure it out)
- One large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- A thumb of ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Some fresh or dried red chilies
- A sprinkle of black mustard seeds
- A sprinkle of cumin seeds
- A sprinkle of coriander seeds
- Garam Masala
- Fresh coriander and lime wedges for garnish
What to do:
Get a large pot of slightly salted water boiling, and boil your potatoes until they are soft.
While the potatoes are boiling, make a coarse paste with the garlic, ginger, chilies, and the cumin and coriander seeds. Add a sprinkling of salt. Bash that all up real nice.
When the potatoes are soft, drain them in a colander and heat up some oil in a large wok. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds until they begin to sputter and pop. Next, add the ginger and garlic paste and saute gently until fragrant. Add the onions and the turmeric and saute for a few more minutes until the onions soften and everything has turned yellow.
Add the potatoes and stir everything well so that the potatoes are fully coated with the onions, the paste and the turmeric, then add the garam masala, and some salt. Taste, and add more salt if necessary.
Allow the potatoes to cook on high for a few minutes until some of them begin to get crispy edges.
Serve up with some lime and coriander. Enjoy!